Modern Weddings are social events that are shared by everyone who attends. Studies have shown that over 90% of wedding guests will take at least 2 photos of your day with their cell phone. Even though you can’t stop that uncle who posts unflattering photos of you on instagram or facebook you can organize and view the photos by using a hashtag.
Here are some tips for creating successful wedding hashtags
1. Try to avoid articles in front of your hashtag, for example, #thejohnsonwedding, #thesmithlove. This is because most people will forget to use the article “the” in front of the hashtag. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to tag your photos.
2. Have the hashtag posted in various places, signs, wedding programs and most importantly the photos that you take with your cell phone leading up to the special day.
3. Your bridesmaids and his groomsmen should be hashtag ambassadors. Chances are your bridesmaids are connected to many people you may not know so ask them to tag every photo with your hashtag.
4. Keep your hashtags under 12 characters if possible. Twitter has a limit of 140 characters including spaces and if you want your photo to get maximum impact consider shortening your hashtag.
5. Whatever hashtag you choose, make sure it reflects your wedding, it doesn’t have to be complicated, but something you can look back on and search for photos of your special day.
But most importantly…
Once you’ve come up with a unique hashtag (be sure to check if it’s already been used before! After all, you don’t want your wedding photos jumbled together with someone else’s event!), you’ll want to announce it to your guests in a clever way. If you’re early in the wedding-planning process, you could include it in your save-the-date video, wedding website and invitation.
Have you chosen your wedding hashtag or having trouble choosing? Share your thoughts in the comments below.